“There.” I joked, “Instant wedding dress. Just add water.”
I didn’t want to keep it, and I didn’t want to get rid of it. Way back in 1989 I had it cleaned and boxed by an establishment that specialized in such things... and I’ve been harboring the box ever since. But it’s a big box. And we’re moving to a smaller house. So I knew I had to come up with an different plan...
It’s beautiful. It’s my own creation, slender and silky. OK, so I used a couple patterns- but I fused ideas from the two so that the end product was all mine. AND it only cost $35 to make, back in 1987.
I’d give it away if I knew it would be appreciated, or sell it in a consignment store. Maybe I still will. I don’t really feel right, though, about the dress doing a repeat performance, wedding-wise. I can’t help but feel that it would be a... bad luck charm, or something. I mean, who would want to knowingly wear a wedding dress of a woman whose marriage ended in tragedy a mere 6 months after the ceremony? And even if she didn’t know... well, the dress would know.
“Get me a zip-lock bag.” I told my husband. Husband number two, you know. I made the dress that I wore to our wedding as well, but that one is pink, and a bit more flouncy.
I took the dress out of the big box, where it had been carefully folded, the top part having been fitted around a cardboard bust. As much as I could, I folded the dress it into a square, and fitted it into the bag. Then I sat on the bag to get the air out and zipped the zipper.
Now it’s small. And flat.
Instant.
Wedding dress.
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm such a hypocrite. I claim that objects are just objects yet I read this and know exactly what you mean.
I know what you mean. I'm not the fantasy world type, but yet I tend to infuse anthropomorphic traits into certain things that are attached to emotional moments...
Post a Comment