I don’t talk much.
My husband is just the opposite, which makes us a good match.
That doesn’t mean that in some situations he’s not sending me silent messages to ‘say something, won’t you?,’ and I to him, ‘shut up for a second, won’t you?’
Our meeting with our new local insurance agent was one of those moments...
While I would have thought it appropriate to, aside from a few polite comments about the weather or something of the sort, merely answer her questions and let her input the answers into her computer without interruption, hubby saw fit to talk without interruption.
By and by I was sending him those silent thought messages, when he, perhaps receiving one, said to the agent, “Oh, I’m babbling, aren’t I. Please forgive me.”
“Oh, no.” she responded cheerfully, “I’d rather have someone talking than someone be completely silent- leaving me not at all knowing what they’re thinking.”
I know she wasn’t intending to be snarky to me (the silent one) by that remark, but it got me thinking...
Maybe my silence intimidates people more than I know.
So I ask you, dear readers: does silence intimidate you?
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I don't feel silence needs to be filled up all the time, it can be charming.
It's usually obvious when it's being used to express disapproval or to intimidate. I think some find their own thoughts uncomfortable, the silence is blamed.
I like the way we send silent messages like we're in a sci fi flick.
I guess we all have our 'balance' of what we believe is appropriate for talk/silence. I know mine is different from other folk's, it's just that sometimes I don't know how much.
Yes, silent thought messages are nicer than silent kick-in-the-shins-under-the-table messages. *laughs* Not that I'd ever do that. *laughs*
Post a Comment