Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Nature

Nature is sneaky.
I mean, when it comes right down to it,
Mother Nature is one sneaky bitch.

I remember when I was in eighth grade
Health Class
And Life Sciences class
Learning about sex
And the birds
And the bees
And evolution
And genetics.

Genes are selfish
That I learned
They’ll do anything
To make us reproduce
And survive.
They (in collaboration with Mother Nature, that bitch)
Invented sex.

That I learned
As I learned
I sat there at my little desk
In Science or Health, or whatever
Feeling that we
(Humankind)
Had been completely
(and unbelievably)
Duped.

“You mean...”
I said to myself
“That LOVE- romantic, spellbinding, tantalizing, scintillating
Happily ever after, would do anything for, ‘till death do folks part
LOVE
Along with all the songs, stories, great literature
Gossip and giggles
And Romeo and Juliet
And kiss and caress
And all the rest
That LOVE and SEX
Are MERELY Mother Nature (that bitch)
TRICKING US, (tricking us!) 
Into reproducing?

I’M NOT FALLING FOR IT.” I said.

But I did.
‘Cause like it or not
You just can’t fight
Mother Nature.

 .

3 comments:

Paul Sunstone said...

I agree you can't fight Mother Nature -- at least not on the sex front. I don't believe everything can be reduced to reproduction, though. Some things are "emergent properties". In fact, I think with humans, a lot of things are.

Garnet said...

It's true, of course, that everything cannot be reduced to reproduction, but that moment of (not entirely valid) insight (as described in the poem) really did hit me when I was about 12 years old. It's humorous, because my fresh, young mind was (at that brief point) like an alien come to earth to study humans. A perspective I'll never have again.

Paul Sunstone said...

You still even today seem to have quite the capacity to step back and look at life and humanity from a fresh perspective, I think.