Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Vampires & Flowers

I saw this unusual group of flowers one summer in a forest not far from my home. I initially thought they were some type of mushroom, but then found out that they are actually a parasitic plant. Indian Pipe, it is called. The plant grows in “rich, shady woods” according to my wildflower book.

“They’re sort of like vampires of the plant world.” I said to myself. That’s when I wrote the following poem.

Once in a while I select a movie to watch, just to see what all the fuss is about. Today I watched ‘Twilight,’ which is a wildly popular vampire flick. It brought this poem to mind...


Oh, delicate and pale one,
I cannot bring myself to shun
Your presence on the ground below,

I can’t despise you even though
You violate
You take
You steal-
Oh, do not think I cannot feel

Your light and loving tendril’s touch
Exquisite
Hungry
Leaving such

A tickling thrill within my veins
A chorus of winsome sweet refrains
Sings of how I’m richly paid

In frail, white flowers’ charms display’d
And rapture swells my wooden heart
That in their bloom I have a part.
.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem - reminds me of Emily Dickinson.

Garnet said...

Thank you! That's quite a complement. *blushes*