Saturday, February 6, 2010

Clean



I love him.

No, I’m in love with him.

My car.

It’s a him.

James, my 2010 Camaro.

I got funny looks from people whenever I said that I planned to drive him during the winter. But it’s winter. And I’m drivin’ him. So there.

He’s not some knick-knack to be put away on a shelf, he’s a car. He’s not happy unless he’s being driven.

Winter gets him dirty, though.

There’s no car wash in town, so I give him sponge baths in the garage. It’s great exercise. For me. Our garage, being part of the basement of our house, is quasi-heated. I’ve got it down to a science- four buckets of water, and a modicum of ‘car shampoo‘...

Shiny soapy, bright black, silky smooth. When I get to the pretty gold-colored Chevy emblem that adorns the front or back, I often think of how my forefathers made cars. Cars of this very brand. I remember my Grandpa Proctor proudly displaying an article from the GM corporate magazine, in which he was featured along with 2 photos. One pic was of him (as a young man) posing with his 1926 Chevrolet, and the other of him (as a retiree) proudly standing next to his brand new 1976 wheels.

I don’t remember what model it was. I had no interest in cars then.

Things change.

Now I'm in love.
.
.

5 comments:

Bill Conway said...

They say you always remember your first love. Mine was a 1966 Ford Mustang and I remember it down to the sound of the engine. Nothing special, only 200 cubic inches of inline six cylinder, but it had stick shift, wire wheel covers, and cornered like a dream. Wherever it is, I wonder if it remembers me, too?

Anonymous said...

Sweet. An o'ten Camero. Your hostess club must be doing ok.

Garnet said...

Did your '66 Mustang have a name, Bill? I'm sure she remembers you!

Anonymous, dear, although poetry can buy Garnet's sweet attentions, it can't buy an internal combustion engine! ;)

Bill Conway said...

Hiya: No, it didn't have a name, but it was a great car. It was a High Country Special, one of a few that were made with a little shield on the front quarter panel and sold in Colorado. Funny thing was, with that 200 cubic inch 6 cylinder, climbing in the mountains was a matter of getting in and staying in second gear for loooong way. Coming back down, on the other hand, is where it excelled -- there and passing the gas station. :-)

Dale said...

Nice Ride
I learned to drive a stick on a "68" Corvette. It was the most amazing car I have ever driven. I had a chance to buy it later on in my life, but did not. I has just gotten married, Therea had gone back school to get her and masters. I was the breadwinner and it was just not a priority then. One of the few things I regret not doing in my life.
Enjoy it every day..screw the weather.
Dale