Thursday, November 19, 2009

Don't Give Up the Skirt

It's my favorite skirt of all time. It's both stylish (in a quirky way) and comfortable.

I bought it 18 years ago when my husband Steve and I vacationed in New Mexico. The skirt is a literal patchwork of various pieces of soft, loosely woven fabric.

Unfortunately, the loose fabric tends to fray at the edges, and come free from the stitching. Over the years I have had to repair it on a regular basis. At one point I noticed that it had gaps whose edges were too frayed to allow for repair at all. But there was no way I was going to give up on my favorite skirt. I sewed a patch onto the wrong side of the fabric and tacked the frayed edges down with a zigzag stitch.

So... it's not fit to wear to work anymore, but it's quirkier than ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad you didn't get it at LLBeans, Garnet. Might have taken it back 'n got a new one.

But a fine skirt from what you describe. Though might want to have a better pic taken of it, and you.

Best
pj