I’ve gone to four meetings so far, though I’ve not yet been officially appointed as a member...
The Town Budget Committee. My final term on the School Board ended earlier this year, and I have always held that it is everyone’s civic duty to serve the community in one way or another, so... I filled out the little form that accompanies the Annual Town Report and submitted my intention to serve, if it so pleased the Town. I have long taken part in the formulation of the School Budget, so it occurred to me that my experience in this might be useful to the Town...
Since the Selectmen (our town has a board of three) have, meeting after meeting, been postponing the task of appointing new members to the town committees that are in need of them in favor of more pressing business, the Chairman of my chosen Committee decided to make me a ‘de facto’ member. “Since you’ve formally applied for the position, and have definitely shown dedication in attending the meetings, I’m sure no one will protest.” he told me over the phone.
He then asked me if I would serve as the Recording Secretary of the Committee. I said I would. Taking minutes and typing them up is not rocket science. And I’ve certainly been to enough meetings in my life to have the ‘minutes’ template engraved in my brain...
“It’s because you’re a woman.” my husband said when he found out about my new position, “They’re all men, right? When you came along they said to themselves, ‘Ah, a woman! Finally, someone to take minutes!’ It’s sexist, that’s what it is.”
“They’re not ALL men.” I said, “There is one other woman is on the Committee, and our neighbor Judy has attended a few meetings, though, like me, she’s not an official member...”
“Think what you like.” my husband responded, “but I think it’s sexist.”
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment