Saturday, January 24, 2009

Drinking it in...

“I didn’t know they wrote haiku in Oklahoma!”

The haiku was on a coffee cup. My friend and I were enjoying hot coffee and scintillating conversation at our favorite breakfast shop this morning when I realized that his paper coffee cup (in addition sporting the logo of the Green Mountain Coffee Co. and declaring the fact that it was made of compost-able material), was adorned with poetry.

Upon closer examination, I discovered that the displayed verse had won some sort of haiku contest sponsored by the company, and it was my declaration that the author was a lady from a certain state in the Midwest which prompted my companion’s joking remark.

“What a great idea.” I exclaimed, thinking that it was a clever scheme on the part of the coffee company to stimulate both literary creativity and coffee-break conversation.

But don’t you think ‘tea’ goes better with haiku than ‘coffee?’ Hm...
.

No comments: