Sunday, September 19, 2010

Church Music

(Blog friend of mine- Kent Parkstreet- centered one of his summer blogs around church music. I remarked that I had written a poem on the subject. Here it is, Kent.)

Oh God, you know I don’t complain,
Your patience I would never to strain,
From afar you read my thoughts, I guess,
So it won’t be news when I confess

That I hate church music!

Oh, I don’t mean the classic stuff,
I enjoy that kind well enough-
The type that’s played by real musicians-
Oh, yeah, to that I’d gladly listen.

I’m talkin’ ‘bout on Sunday Morning
When the tone-deaf crowds emerge-
To sing the old hymns that’re deadly boring
To the untrained organist’s dirge!

They say that he who sings prays twice,
But to me it’s such a sacrifice
To join with uninspired voice
And thus contribute to the noise.

The music that I like to hear
I’m afraid you won’t allow up there,
Unless, perhaps, you think its nice
To allow irreverence, just for spice,
And silence the tinkle of angel-harp strings
To sneak in a hint of naughtier things.

Just kidding, God
Ha, funny ol’ me
I know that in heaven there will be
Wondrous melodies, flowing like streams
Music beyond our wildest dreams.

And yeah, I know it’s not nice to scorn
The time-honored hymns of Sunday morn.
.

3 comments:

Kent Parkstreet said...

I'm honoured! I got a mention in the Virtual Salon! I'm a little embarrassed, like I shared a salon with you in public.
Yes, yes, yes, who decided that god is boring and soft? And that singing for god should be droning? Bach wrote church music, when it is played right it thunders.
I don't know much about your faith, I am pretty certain your god will forgive a difference in musical taste, maybe even have a sneaky giggle with you.

Garnet said...

Church music is just one of those things that I'm 'supposed' to like, but can't bring myself to. Except, as you say, the classical stuff like Bach, and organ music played on a great big organ. The kind that shakes not only your ear drums, but your bones. The cathedral in Portland, Maine has an organ like that, but I don't get there very often...

Kent Parkstreet said...

There is a fellow in Melbourne Australia who restores pipe organs so that city is blessed with quite a few great big ones.
For my taste the high energy African American church music is the bomb. Enough to drag a sinner like me to a service.
It's a funny feeling, when you should like something but don't really. I despise the song "Imagine" by John Lennon, it's tedious and lame, but I feel like I should like it because everyone else does and because of who wrote it. I've tried and I can't even be indifferent to it.