Friday, March 5, 2010

You're Hot...

The message said, “You’re hot just the way you are. operationbeautiful.com

It was written on lavender colored tape, and casually stuck to the front of the scanner which sits inside the pharmacy’s ‘drop off’ window.

“Where did this come from?” I asked Chris, my number one tech.

“Jen found it yesterday.” she replied, “It was stuck to the shelves by the weight-loss products.”

“Sound advice.” I nodded taking a second look at the unlikely propaganda, “They should have added ‘don’t waste your money.’ No over-the-counter weight-loss products (with the exception of one) have been proven safe or effective for that purpose. Half of them have actually been proven to be harmful and taken off the market, and the remainder have gotten in trouble with the FTC for making false claims.” I said, only slightly exaggerating.

“Yes,” said Chris, “Remember Metabolite?”

“And Dexatrim?” I responded, “Both were found to cause serious, sometimes fatal heart problems in women.”

“Just yesterday,” remarked Jen, “I saw a young lady drag her boyfriend over to that aisle. She ushered him to the protein supplements and told him that’s what he needed to gain some weight. Then she selected a product which she declared would help her lose weight. Her boyfriend said, ‘But you’re fine just the way you are!’ and she said, ‘No, I’m not...’”

“Rule number one...” I stated adamantly, “When your boyfriend/husband tells you you’re fine just the way you are, the one thing you DO NOT want to say is ‘no I’m not!’”

Upon this we all heartily agreed, and got on with the day’s work.

Later I looked up operationbeautiful.org. Their motto is “Change the way you see, not the way you look.”
.

2 comments:

Bill Conway said...

I agree as well. Things that are visible to the eyes are often invisible to the heart. The blemishes that are so glaring to us may be utterly insignificant to one who loves us. Thankfully. :-)

Garnet said...

Indeed. I think we all know very attractive people who are not good looking, and conversely 'beautiful' people whom we would not touch with a ten foot pole.