Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Score One

Score one for My Beloved.

I took my car in to the friendly local auto service shop to get the brake light fixed today (I managed to make it Sunday thru Wednesday without being pulled over for it again). When I came to pick My Beloved up, the young grease-monkey told me that he checked all the other lights, too, just to make sure they were in working order. I thanked him, and laughingly told him how my capricious car was jealous because I was thinking about replacing him with a brand new vehicle.

"You are?" said the young man excitedly, "Well, if you decide to sell your Corolla let me know! I'd love to buy it!"

At first I thought it might be that the fledgling mechanic was starting a 'used car' selling venture, but as he elaborated on the offer, he made it clear that he wanted My Beloved for his own personal use.

"You see," my car would have said (if it could talk), "What a fool you'd be to replace me? I'm a beautiful car with lots of use left in me, no monthly payments, low excise tax, and even your auto mechanic loves me!"

"Well," I would say to my car, (if I talked to cars), "It's a moot point anyway, since it appears that there are not, nor will there be, any 2010 Camaros in the state of Maine anytime soon. And when winter rolls around I doubt if I will be so excited about buying one. So you're safe, my love. For now."
.

No comments: