Thursday, August 9, 2007

Black Hole of Flavor

“So just saute this zucchini up for dinner, OK?” I said to my husband as I left the house in late afternoon. It was my ‘day off,’ but I was headed to work to help cover the evening rush, since one of my (pharmacy) techs is on vacation.

So, yeah, zucchini. Last year I planted it, but did not end up harvesting any because a hungry woodchuck decimated the nascent plants. This year we fenced it in & it’s doin’ great. We’re eating zucchini just about every night. OK, so there’s nothing really great about that...

Zucchini is not a very interesting vegetable. It is so bland that attempts to spice it up often fall flat. My sister once described the worthy gourd as being “the black hole of flavor.”

Rather than fight it, I choose to embrace it’s blandness, merely sauteing it in a teflon pan with a few sprays of oil, and seasoning it with a few shakes of salt. Hubby, on the other hand, uses butter. The end product tastes so rich, I hesitate to ask him how much. Butter makes anything taste better, though, so it’s good. Mm.

No comments: